Tuesday 25 June 2013

Thumbelina Sequence




Thumbelina Sequence


This is a series of four illustrations inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's tale 'Thumbelina'.
They are shown here in the correct order. I came up with the idea after a lot of sketchbook work leading up to it and reading the story very thoroughly, I knew how to lay it out properly. The images show Thumbelina at different ages and surrounded by her in her own experiences. The different hair colours represent her different moods. I wanted the illustrations to look powerful almost like movie posters with the character of Thumbelina being the big focus of the work almost like a haunting presence. 

The reception I got for this piece was very positive. I was told that it was very emotional and the drawings were nice. I myself thought it was a very successful piece and it was exactly what I intended to achieve with this idea and story.

To improve, I would've put more effort into the quality of the final piece and if I had more time I would've made more of them and maybe added different elements. I would have also looked at other illustrations that deal with the same theme of fairy tales to gain even more inspiration.








No comments:

Post a Comment